[wp-testers] HTML "code" tag in the Visual Editor?

Andrew Ozz admin at laptoptips.ca
Mon May 5 00:02:47 GMT 2008

Rick Beckman wrote:
> Editing core code isn't exactly an ideal solution -- I've seen tutorials on
> how to get all sorts of stuff added to TinyMCE by hacking it, but the next
> time I upgrade WordPress, well, if I don't remember what edits I made to
> which installations, I'm in for some difficulties which would be avoided
> through the use of a plugin (or an addition to Core).

Exactly. This kinds of advanced settings are pure plugin territory.
Don't seem to find one in the plugins repository for this particular
case, so may as well write it.

> And while CSS on a SPAN may allow for richer style options than on STRONG,
> EM, CODE, and the others, is it possible to duplicate the semantic meaning?
> A CODE tag on my phone shows up as CODE; a STRONG tag in a text-reader is
> strongly emphasized... A styled span on my phone shows up as normal text,
> and facilitating any sort of vocal style for speech readers would then
> require an entire aural style sheet to replicate any and all styles implicit
> in the phrase tags themselves.
>
> If (X)HTML already allows for a CODE tag, why recreate the wheel by making
> use of even less semantic SPAN tags which convey absolutely no structural
> value whatsoever and are thus meaningless if style sheets are unavailable.

I prefer the tags too, however using them seems to be the "old" way and
having screen, print and aural style sheets is the preferred "new" way,
as it gives a lot more control to the author/designer.