[wp-testers] RE: RC3 vs. Final, Auto Upgrade (WPAU), Backups, and Plugins

Frank Laughter franklaughter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 14:18:48 GMT 2008

Congratulations to the entire WP development team. Great job!

I had a problem with ver. 2.5-RC3 and ver. 2.5 Formal Release losing contact
with MySQL. It couldn't find the posts. It displayed the main page correctly
except the main content area had no posts and there was a message that "what
you are looking for is not here" or some such thing. The problem was caused
when the "Sticky" plugin was activated. Sticky has now been deep-sixed.

Auto Upgrade worked for me on several test sites with different versions of
WP. One WPAU was from ver. 2.0.1. Another was from ver. 2.2.1 at the same
host. Both upgraded OK with minor hitches. I also tried WPAU on another test
site -- different host -- from 2.3.2 and it worked as well. In all three
cases, the pre-processing backups mentioned in the README.txt were useless,
but post-processing BUs left on the server were correct.

For icing on the cake, I used the "auto upgrades" from Dashboard > Plugins
for: Askimet, Adhesive, Sociable and Print. All worked slick as a whistle
except for Print. The Print upgrade placed the new files 2 directories deep
in the "plugins" folder. I removed the extra folder and that solved the
problem.

Great job, everyone!

Frank Laughter