[wp-testers] Re: wp-testers Digest, Vol 37, Issue 159

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 18:28:59 GMT 2008

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 11:49 AM, Spencer Lavery <phobea at gmail.com> wrote:
>  A Post with a Gallery IS still a Post - but should it be? A Page is
>  treated differently from a Post, and I'm inclined to think that a
>  Gallery should be too. It isn't a blog post, after all, and could
>  probably benefit from being seperated completely from Posts in much
>  the same way as Alex Rabe has done with his NextGEN Gallery plugin.

Let's quash this confusion before it spreads. :-)

A gallery is something that only exists within a post or page. It is
not a special data type, but rather a string of HTML markup (linked
images) automatically inserted into an existing data type,
post_content.

To publish a gallery, you add [gallery] to the text of your post where
you want it to appear. There can be text or other media before and
after the gallery, but the absence of other content does not make a
gallery anything special.

Your idea of galleries being presented in a different template is
still a good one and it can be achieved within a theme or a plugin,
but the underlying data types do not need to change.

Cheers,
Andy