[wp-testers] AW: Write Page

Kirk M kmb42vt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 14:29:37 GMT 2008

Musing Minds wrote:
> I use the default category of Musings so at least I don't end up with
> "uncategorized" and "musings" fits with the title of my blog... I would like
> the category near the top too, I was just coming up with a solution for
> "uncategorized" which I personally dislike...

My $0.02.

I've been faithfully reading every entry in wp-testers and the
complaints about the new editor doesn't sit well with me (with all due
respect everyone's opinion. We're all different after all). What I mean
is that if I have to use the TinyMCE editor, it never mattered whether
the available options were stacked in a sidebar or stacked under the
editor. If I was going to forget to to set a category, it wouldn't
matter where it was located.

To me it's the choice between a wider writing field (which I prefer) or
having a sidebar and personally the new location of editor options in
2.5 is again, rather irrelevant. How many times do you set categories
and tags for a single post?

The idea it seems here and correct me if I'm wrong, is to set the title
(realizing that titles come when they may) and write the post first  and
when you're satisfied with everything, *then* set the category(s) and,
if you wish, the tags. To me it's a matter of setting a habit that
overrides the location of certain options.

What might be a possible solution for this is to add a "reminders"
option where the user can select certain "On Publish" reminders that
will pop up when the "Publish" button is clicked. This option section
could be:

On Publish Remind To:

--Set Categories
--Set Tags
--???(possible 3rd?)

To me, this would be fair solution. When the "Publish button is hit, a
small reminder would "pop-up" asking the author if they had set
categories/tags yet (Yes or No). "Yes" would allow the post to be
published and "No" would cancel the publish (state remains the same) and
the author could now select the appropriate categories and/or tags and
hit Publish. Sure, the reminder would pop up again but it's just a
matter of hitting Yes. It's a "dumb" function to be sure but most likely
an effective one.

I'm not dissing anyone's complaint here, just offering possible
solutions. No offense intended.