[wp-testers] AW: Write Page

Daniel Woolstencroft wptest at dtw.me.uk
Fri Mar 28 12:12:52 GMT 2008

I had similar thoughts to Stefano. At the moment I've got the "Forgot The
Category" plugin installed (http://dancoulter.com/forgot-the-category/) and
that's helped users to not forget. I've also tweaked it so it scrolls the
page down to the Category section if there's no category filled in.

What would really help, and I mean this regardless of plugins, is if there
was a save post button next to the category section. Or if the whole
right-hand column followed you down the page. The "workflow" of the page is
going to be:

Write Title
Write Post
Assign Tags (optional)
Assign Categories (optional)
Save/Publish.

The main problem people are having right now, and I think the main source of
resistance, is that last step; you've got to scroll back up to the top again
to accomplish it. If you don't assign cats or tags, then it's not a problem,
but how many people honestly don't bother doing this?

Another option would be to have a section beneath Categories, but before
Advanced Options, that allowed you to save and publish your post. This could
be achieved via a plugin, I think, but I can't find a hook to add something
immediately below the Category box - it appears that in 2.5 we can only add
to the very bottom of the write post page.

Or, maybe we could place the "most used" categories in the right hand
column, and leave the entire list where it is? Again, I can't seem to find a
hook for doing this.

Having used 2.5 in anger for over a week now, while I bring a new site
online, and then going back to 2.3 for my own blog, I can't help but say I
much prefer 2.5. After a brief period of adjustment it's a definite
improvement. The category box placement is my only real niggle, and I think
that can be resolved via a plugin if there aren't going to be any changes to
Core as yet.

Dan.

Message: 6