[wp-testers] Paste as Plain Text?

Andrew Ozz admin at laptoptips.ca
Fri Mar 28 04:02:30 GMT 2008

Daniel Schoonover wrote:
> That's weird I don't get a "Paste as Plain text" popup on my 2.3.3 site, but
> I do on my 2.5 RC2 site.  But the first point makes sense.  I didn't know
> that it was that screwed up from browser to browser.  But can't it be made
> that when the popup for "Paste as Plain Text" comes up it automatically
> inserts the text instead of making the user have to Ctrl-V a second time?
> Or is that not possible due to the cleanup?

Unfortunately if this was possible in FF, we wouldn't need to show the
popup at all :) It needs the same onPaste event.

Anyways, as most people hate this popup (including myself), lets just
remove it and give power to the user to decide how to paste and what to use.

> Now on to the second part.
> I'm using Firefox 2.0.13 within Windows XP SP2 at work
> I'm using Firefox 2.0.12 within Windows Vista SP1 at home
>
> I am able to replicate the issue on both computers in Firefox.
> If I do this in Internet Explorer 7.x I don't get the "Paste as Plain Text"
> popup and I have no issues with editing the text afterwards.
> Safari 3.0.4 also does not give me "Paste as Plain Text" popup and I have no
> issues with editing the text afterwards.
> Now as for Opera 9.26, when I paste it throws the text in the visual editor
> AND I get the "Paste as Plain Text" popup, if I paste text in the popup then
> I have double text of everything I was pasting.  I can however delete and
> edit the text.
> As for Firefox 3 Beta 3, the same thing happens as it did in Firefox
> 2.0.12and .13

I mostly use Firefox 2.0.x too (because of Firebug) and never had this
happened... Tried to reproduce it again - the pasted text is editable
just as the rest. Try switching to the HTML tab and back to see if there
will be any changes. This runs the internal cleanup in TinyMCE as well
as the js version of wpautop. Also try deleting the cache file in
/wp-content/uploads/js-cache/tinymce_[long number].gz. and then
force-refresh the write page.

Safari 3.0.4 is the beta version, right? Try 3.1 - the release, it's
actually pretty good browser for Windows too.

> And for the third part, I guess the cancel button would just cancel any
> cancels you have made to the current post you are looking like and take you
> back to the dashboard (or the previous page), so if you were in the middle
> of writing a new post it would just throw away what you were writing.  If
> you were in the middle of editing a post, it wouldn't save your changes,
> etc.

So it would work like this:

If it's a new post, clicking Cancel will delete any saved drafts and
redirect to the dashboard (or the previous page?).

If editing, clicking Cancel will remove any changes and return the
post to the original state (with or without reloading the write page).

In both cases there will be an alert notifying the user about loosing
all changes.

The Cancel button will always be visible.

This seems to make sense especially for new users that are used to
always have both "OK" and "Cancel". It's too late to add new features
(even small ones) to 2.5, but I think you can open an "enhancement"
ticket for 2.6.