[wp-testers] Center

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Thu Mar 27 22:43:25 GMT 2008

Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> In open source usually
> software gets better BECAUSE the constant feedback of the community is
> taken seriously.

Interfaces in most OS software tend to suck because they try to please
everyone, give undue consideration to the loudest members of the
community, design by committee, or add an option whenever there's a
disagreement.

> I don't feel that our feedback is taken seriously at
> all - most if not all of the things I list above have been reported over
> and over again, yet nothing has changed.

Quite the opposite, this is the first release where feedback on the new
design was specifically solicited, and hundreds of people have:

2.5-feedback at wordpress.org

Also where most of the decisions in previous versions of WordPress were
more or less arbitrary (I can attest personally), or based on faulty
premises like "fitting everything on one screen is better," most in 2.5
were based on feedback from users new and old, and watching what they
did vs what they said. (Which is often very different.)

The true test of the release is how usage and adoption of WordPress
changes after 2.5 (what people do), especially after people have had a
few days to settle into the new feel of things, which I truly believe is
a step forward.

We didn't always make the safest choices, but we made the best ones.
Some things will be uncomfortable to people who have been using WP for
years, but I'm confident over time there'll be less and less friction.

Finally, we do have a history of doing things that everyone hated or
screamed bloody murder at the time, and were honestly painful to get
feedback for, but ended up being good long-term decisions, like
introducing the theme system or WYSIWYG.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://ma.tt | http://automattic.com