[wp-testers] Gallery Function not using Hide

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 15:26:31 GMT 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 8:03 AM, Holly Doyne <proseknitic at yahoo.de> wrote:
>  However - and this is a big issue - the hide function is not working. Effectively you get all or none of the
>  photos in the gallery.

"Hide" does not exclude anything from the [gallery]. It was designed
to help you browse the attachments with less scrolling. The [gallery]
was intended as a simple example of what can be done with shortcodes.
I expect several plugins will be developed to give you finer control,
such as including a subset of all the attachments of a post. The core
shortcode may evolve in later versions but it's too late to do this in
WordPress 2.5.

>  Now, for the average lazy person who wants to batch load all their photos at once, edit the gallery
>  and publish several photo pages at once - no chance.

You can batch load all of the photos you want on one Post/Page at a
time. Gallery paging, or using <!--nextpage--> to get different
galleries on the same Post/Page, was never part of the design. Maybe a
plugin will do this.

>  For those of us with FTP access, the fix is not go to the server and delete the photos - you get what I
>  have currently visible.

WordPress does not detect changes made via FTP to uploads. Every file
uploaded via WordPress has a database entry in the posts table. Thus
you must use WordPress to delete things uploaded via WordPress.

>  So far the only solution I have seen is to delete the entire page, clear out the upload area by FTP and upload
>  only those photos which you want in this particular gallery.

Use the delete buttons in any of the uploader tabs or Manage > Media Library.

Cheers,
Andy

p.s. The issue with your numeric permalinks not working is fixed as of RC2.