[wp-testers] Save and Continue Editing Button

Gene Steinberg gene at macnightowl.com
Mon Mar 24 23:56:36 GMT 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 4:02 PM, Mark Jaquith wrote:

> I had no problems using autosave on Gene's installs.  He says he was
> able to make it work running Vista in Parallels, so at this point I
> have to say that it's likely something specific to his Macs' setup.
>
> --
> Mark Jaquith • http://markjaquith.com/

All right, I tried the following on the Mac Pro:

1. Reset Safari 3.1. This deletes stored passwords, cache, etc. No
change.

2. Switched from OpenDNS to my ISP's DNS (this is Cox), turned off the
Leopard firewall again and restarted.

3. Tried Safari 3.1. It worked exactly once, and then the symptoms
returned.

4. Still doesn't work in the Firefox 3 beta.

5. I also used a utility known as Leopard Cache Cleaner to empty
system and user caches, including Web caches, boot caches, etc. with
no change.

The above 5 steps were repeated on the MacBook Pro and it never
worked. Bear in mind that auto save is just one of the problems. I
cannot use the Insert Link or audio file either, nor does spell check
work. The former two produce blank windows and the latter a spinning
circle in an endless loop.

Bear in mind that the Mac Pro is 5 weeks old, and there has been no
system modifications, not even a terminal command to change the look
and feel of something.

Having been in this game a long time as a tech writer, I can tell you
that it is dangerous to assume that because it works on your Mac, the
problem is somehow restricted to my two computers. I think it's
important, before official release, to try this out on several
different Macs of different vintage and configurations to see what is
going on. My systems are not very unique and are probably typical of
tens of thousands of Mac users.

_ _ _ _
Peace,
Gene Steinberg