[wp-testers] when switching to visual editor from HTML editor, all layout is discarded

Alexander van Loon svloon at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 24 10:13:05 GMT 2008

Hello all,

* I sent this e-mail yesterday as well, without subscribing to this
mailing list, but it still hasn't show up in the archives (was it held
for moderation perhaps?) so I decided to subscribe and send this e-mail
again. *

I've set up a weblog with the WP 2.5 release candidate here -
http://www.alexandervanloon.nl/english/ - and after some days of using
the editor to write a very large post I have encountered a rather
serious bug.

Today I was going to edit my post again, but when I opened my web
browser and accessed the draft I noticed in the visual editor that all
the layout had been discarded, only spaces and letters remained.

I accessed a backup of my post's HTML code which I backed up in a text
file on my harddisk (fortunately I was smart enough not to trust beta
software). I copied the HTML code of my post. In the editor, I selected
and removed my entire post which had messed up layout. I switched to the
HTML editor and pasted the backup post there. Then I switched to the
visual editor again and noticed that my layout was messed up again.

It's not always 100% reproducible, because I also sporadically witnessed
that once I closed my browser, opened it again, tried to write a new
post, paste the HTML code in the HTML editor, and then switch to the
visual editor to see that it processed the HTML code correctly with
layout. However, if I switch to the HTML editor again, I see the exact
same messed up layout again without HTML tags.

I've been working on this post in WP 2.5 for three days, and only
tonight did I encounter this bug. The fact that the editor sometimes
recognizes the HTML code of my post correctly and the fact that the code
looks OK in a webbrowser makes me think that this certainly is a bug in
WP 2.5. Also, if I paste the HTML code of my post to my other weblog
which is running WP 2.3 the visual editor does always process it
correctly. The backup of my post in HTML code can be found here -
http://www.alexandervanloon.nl/epiphany_post_backup.txt - on my website.

Besides reporting this serious bug which suddenly showed up, I'd like to
say that WP 2.5 looks great with it's new admin panel. Thank you so much
WP development team.

Greetings,
Alexander van Loon