[wp-testers] Image uploader problems and other 2.5 unpolish

Matt Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Sat Mar 22 06:24:26 GMT 2008

Apologies for the long email, writing this as I go.

I upload some images.

First problem: all the titles are like mat_3263jpg.jpg. Double jpg.

I click on an image, edit the title on about a dozen images. (Opening
each is fairly annoying.)

The "delete" button next to "insert into post" does not go red on hover
like other delete links.

I think we should give a little space or separate the "insert into post"
stuff from the metadata stuff.

At the bottom of that page I click "save all changes". It reloads that
same "choose file" tab and says "no file uploaded in red".

If I click on "gallery" which has all my images, none of the titles have
changed, losing all my work.

Update: So the title was actually saved, it just still shows
"mat_3263jpg.jpg" as the name of the image. I guess there's no way to
change that? If I click and expand the image I see the correct title.

Things I put in Description or Long Description don't seem to show up
anywhere - until I added the_content() to attachment template. I feel
like one of these should show up in thumbnail view.

I'm currently using this in my template:

echo wp_get_attachment_image( $post->ID, 'medium' );

Because I think having the image link to the full-size version vs, say,
the next image, is silly. This function:

wp_get_attachment_link(0, 'medium', false);

By its name would appear to give you a link to the attachment, but it
looks like it actually outputs the image + a link. This is what we use
in default.

If we're auto-magically putting the long description in the_content,
maybe we should put the image in there as well? That way we get
automatic compatibility with existing themes without requiring
additional template tags.

It'd be nice if you could see the number of comments on a given image
from the gallery thumbnail listing, but I'm not sure how that would work.

BLOCKER: On my test blog the options for thumbnail size and medium size
are just blank - this causes no alternates to be created at all. At the
very least this should fall back to defaults. It makes the feature look
broken.

[Crop to size] doesn't really mean anything. I think this is confusing
because the width and height aren't really width and height, but MAXIMUM
width and height, and resizing is done proportionally inside of that,
unless that checkbox is there. Maybe that's how we should describe it. I
think we need some inline text there, at the very least.

Some avatar thoughts:

I think image settings and gravatar settings should both be under
"Misc". Having a dropdown for "show avatars" is silly as there's only
two options - radio buttons would be better, but checkbox would be best,
especially if it was more descriptive. (Does it put avatars on my blog?
Is the "show avatars with rating" include lower ratings, so if I choose
PG do I also get G?)

BLOCKER: There appears to be no way to edit widgets who you can't select
on the left, so if you are looking at "show unused widgets" there is no
way to edit any options on the right, or any indication that you can!

If you click on "show used widgets" there are no edit links!

If I click "add" then reload, there appear to be no edit links! So you
can add, and immediately edit after that, but after that widgets are
frozen forever.

As an annoyance, half my widgets say the same thing twice - "Meta:
Meta", "Recent Posts: Recent Posts" - sloppy.

Patches for anything here would be fast-tracked, just email me the trac
ticket.

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://ma.tt | http://automattic.com