[wp-testers] "Categories" 2 bug under the Dashboard.

Kirk M kmb42vt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 17:17:48 GMT 2008

Ryan Boren wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 12:43 AM, Frank Helmschrott
> <fhelmschrott at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2008/3/21, Ryan Boren <ryan at boren.nu>:
>>

>>> Background on the lost connection error.
>>>
>>  >
>>  >  http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/gone-away.html
>>
>>  ok - read over that. Though the server used at MT GS is (afaik) a 4.x
>>

>>  >  I can try cooking up a patch that does a mysql_ping if a query returns
>>  >  an errno of CR_SERVER_GONE_ERROR or CR_SERVER_LOST.  That'll avoid
>>  >  doing a mysql_ping every time.  I don't know if that will help, but
>>  >  it's worth a try.
>>
>>  Yes probably worth a try but still _only_ a workaround, isn't it?
>>
>>  Do you know anything about the reason why this error occurs? It sounds
>>  strange to me that such a simple tasks fires anything like timeouts.
>>

> It's strange indeed, and I don't know why it happens.  We've been
> seeing quite a few of these "lost connection" and "gone away" errors
> in the past year, though.  #5382, #5951, #5402, and #5932 in trac are
> some examples.
>
> Ryan

For what it's worth, I've been getting 'lost connection' and 'gone away'
errors when publishing a post either from the the WP editor  or a local
editor (like Windows Live Writer) since version 2.3. or 2.3.1 (can't
quite remember which. 2.2.x did not exhibit these problems) and it seems
to have carried over to 2.5 trunk. The kicker is that it only occurs
when 'Ping Services' (Technorati, Ping-O-Matic etc) is activated either
in the Admin *or* the WLW. If no 'Ping Services' are activated, the
error does not occur. The error's are worded a bit differently between
WP 2.3.x and 2.5 but they essentially mean the same thing.

I have a copy of the 2.3.x errors and as soon as I publish another post
I'll post both sets of errors here for comparison.