[wp-testers] 2.5 RC1 Galleries

Andy Skelton skeltoac at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 00:04:07 GMT 2008

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Aaron Harun <admin at anthologyoi.com> wrote:
> Not that I know of. It would be a nice-to-have feature to cross-own
>  images to posts for the purposes of the gallery. (As would excluding
>  images from the gallery.)

I disagree with your first point. A gallery is an exposition of a
unique set of images, a simple one-to-many structure. Adding logic and
UI for cross-posting images to multiple galleries would be a waste of
time and pixels. If there is a compelling use case, it will be very
rare. You can upload an image twice if you really want it in another
gallery.

As for exclusion: we already respect menu_order in the gallery
queries. We could add "AND menu_order >= 0" and set menu_order < 0 to
exclude them. There is no UI for changing the menu_order and none
planned for excluding images.

The [gallery] shortcode could be made to use optional arguments
indicating order and inclusion/exclusion, but of course that could be
achieved via plugin so I'm not inclined to patch core.

Cheers,
Andy