[wp-testers] Comments and bugs (?) in WP2.5RC1

Michael Clark 031737d98884bcc7ae545aff35358b23.wp-testers at planetmike.com
Wed Mar 19 14:03:31 GMT 2008

Hi,

I just started poking around on version 2.5 RC1. Mike

Menus:
How often do most people really use the Design menu? Why isn't it
under Settings?

And "Comments" should be under "Manage." That would make the "Edit
Comments" page make sense, since the first line of the page is
"Manage Comments."

Write Post:
Under Safari 3.04, OS X 10.4.11, text entered into the post area
looks like there is a full line between the line of text I enter and
the button row (bold, italics, etc...) Can that white space be
reduced a bit? Or would that be a custom style I'd need to tweak?

Interface:
The gray bar at the very top of the browser window (Dashboard,
Howdy...) is not consistent. If you are going to use a tab when I'm
on the DashBoard, there should be a tab on it for doing "stuff" to
the blog. For example, I'm on the "Write Post" page, but there aren't
any tabs on the top row.

Bug?:
Before a user can upload files with a new post, make sure that the
permissions are ok. I know you want things to be simple, but it's
more annoying to get an error after I try to upload something than
being simple.

Related note: I tried to upload two MP3 files. The first one failed
due to a permissions problem, but the second one tried to upload as
well. Why bother? It won't work.

Bug? (Feature Request?):
I imported one of my RSS feeds so I'd have data to play with. Could
the RSS feed importer automatically create categories from the feed?
What I ended up with is 10 posts with no category, although two posts
did have a comma listed. I assume the WP25 somehow "knows" the post
was in two categories, but now it doesn't. But it "knows" to put a
comma on the post?

Actually, it appears that WP25 tried to create my categories. On my
Manage Categories page, there are now thirteen empty categories. Name
and Description are blank, number of posts in each one is "1." I
imported my main feed from
http://feeds.planetmike.com/planetmikedotcom

Whoops: Posting Bug! (I think)
Write Post: I added a new post, Safari 3.04, OS X 10.4.11. I added
two MP3 files, they uploaded fine, added a new category, hit Publish.
Nothing. Tried tweaking the "status" hit save and publish, tried
tweaking the "publish immediately" time. I ended up having to go to
the Manage tab, hit the "Drafts" submenu, then I could hit the
Publish button. The post did appear after that. My guess would be the
ajax/javascript stuff is not working quite right in Safari.

Feature Request:
I recently blogged about WP's Daylight Saving Time handling.
http://www.planetmike.com/2008/03/11/wordpress-timezone-handling-is-ridiculous/.
Will WP automagically change the clock settings now without the need
for a plugin?

Thanks, I hope this is helpful. Mike

--

Michael Clark
http://www.PlanetMike.com

Listen to Christmas music 24 hours a day 7 days a week:
http://www.ChristmasMusic247.com

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
  - Martin Luther King Jr.