[wp-testers] About DB Backup

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Mon Sep 25 21:58:38 GMT 2006

Ryan Duff wrote:
> Robert Deaton wrote:
>> On 9/25/06, Trevor Turk <trevorturk at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> I'm still not clear on whether or not the plugin has a security
>>> vulnerability, <snip>
>> Do you honestly think Matt would just up and lie about a security
>> issue existing?
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=wordpress+database+backup+plugin+vulnerability
>>

>> Not to say that I think its enough or proper justification for
>> dropping it entirely, but would Matt lie about it so blatently?
>>

> But that bug report is from back in the middle of August, and a patch
> was created by Ryan Boren already and noted in the Secunia advisory
> (http://secunia.com/advisories/21486).

That was the third security fix for wp-db-backup since it was introduced
to core.  It is unmaintained, and I'm tired of fielding the email it
generates.

> As someone else said, he's replacing it with code that:
>
> 1. Doesn't do the exact same, export and backup are NOT the same.

The exporter is still being enhanced.  Those who care strongly about the
db backup plugin can maintain it.

> 2. Ties into another for-profit service he runs.

Huh?  How is an exporter that is available to all WP blogs a tie in?
This is a long overdue feature and gives no sustenance to any fanciful
conspiracy theories.

Ryan