[wp-testers] Keeping Up-to-date [s]

Podz podz at tamba2.org.uk
Mon Jan 23 10:12:29 GMT 2006

Chris Meller wrote:

> Writing (and supporting) it's the tough part...

Knowing something of the amount of work that went into and still does
need to be done for just the themes at http://themes.wordpress.net, the
size of this task would be phenomenal to get done.
Add into that trying to get plugin authors to send updates in, then to
be sure which version of WP it is for, then that the person maintaining
it will be seen by many users as the first point of contact, then that
links may break and authors drop their sites, then that old versions are
sought, then guaranteeing some level of performance.....
This would be almost a full time job for a considerable amount of time
and would be a nightmare at version jump.

Get the structure right, then have several people break the task down
into much smaller parts and there is a chance it could be done. There is
also the chance that people will volunteer for a task that may take a
few hours over a week. Looking for someone to do the whole thing - for
free - would be pointless. It's HUGE and they'd be answering to too many
masters. The bits I wrote above about what the person would have to do
don't matter - I'm guessing - but the scope of the task must not be
underestimated. Bandwidth isn't an issue. The structure and how it will
work day to day is the first thing otherwise it's just never going to
happen.

P.