[wp-testers] "Categories"

Abhay Kumar aranis at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 02:02:36 GMT 2005

> How would you set up the naviagation of your site? Would you list 100
> tags for visitors to choose from? What if you had 500 tags?

If the main navigation of your blog (sidebar) is based on tags rather than
categories, you are basically deviating from the core idea of simplicity.
Categories are what one would consider a primary hierarchy and tags are far
too specific.

> I suppose you could select 5 or 6 of your most important tags (news,
> tech, personal, etc.), and then hardcode links to them in your
> sidebar, but this is messy.

Why not just make those 5-6 into categories?

> With all the tags, I could create a page with a tag cloud, or perhaps
> include a mini tag cloud in the sidebar. Using the tags would be an
> additional method of navigating and discovering posts in my blog.

A tag cloud is a great idea if you want to show all of the subtopics that
you

> > Having just 'tagories' (nice word btw!) would make a Wordpress site
> > > difficult to navigate and difficult to structure in any meaningful
> > > way. (in my opinion)
> >
> > My thinking is quite the opposite of this.  It would get confusing
> > for readers in the long run if a site had both tags and categories.
> > If someone really wants to see all your reviews then they can click
> > on your "Reviews" tag and they'll all come up.  If they want movie
> > reviews, then click on "Movies" in a list of common tags that pops up
> > in your reviews archive section.  Or, properly implemented,
> > your.url.com/tags/reviews+movies.

I still don't see the problem with having reviews as a level 0 category and
movies as a level 1 category. There is a clear hierarchy in your example.
Perhaps you have a different example where this is not the case. I do,
however, see the utility of multiple categories in permalinks.

An example would be category 0 having 300 entries and category 1 having 500
entries. If 100 of the entries are common to both categories, a permalink
structure with an 'AND' would be useful to find those 100. This would be
useful only if category 1 was not a subcategory of category 0.

> In my opinion, tags empower the user whereas categories limit the
> > user.  Thoughts?

Definiately disagree. I feel both have their usefulness and they are
exclusive of each other.

Cheers,

Abhay