[wp-testers] Nightlies

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Thu Jun 16 03:47:26 GMT 2005

Carla M. Gervin wrote:

> I'm unable to access the "nightlies" site.  Error 403 (You don't have
> permission to access /download/nightly-builds/ on this server.)
>
> Is anyone else having this issue?

This is definitely intentional.  Two explanations:

http://binarybonsai.com/archives/2005/06/14/wordpress-nightlies/

To Michael, if he's reading, it's not about creating a lack of
transparency, just about making sure that people only get nightly builds
if they are serious about using alpha software that WILL break their
blog from time to time or compromise their data.  There was a brief time
for WP 1.3 where Matt's test blog's admin section was indexed by
Google... so this isn't something to be taken lightly.  If there is an
easy to find link, people will likely think "hey, this version is newer,
I'll just use that."  The SVN repository is open to all, but has a bit
of a learning curve that protects it from casual usage... so it's not
about transparency.

Other explanation:

There has been a lot of big code changes recently.  The version string
is set as "1.6-ALPHA-do-not-use"  which reflects the fact that your blog
will be broken a lot during this period of development.  A lot of the
resulting bugs are going to be obvious to the developers and having
several dozen people on this mailing list report them isn't going to
help, and may even discourage people who have used the nightlies in the
past and not had many problems with them.

So anyway, that is my take.  Have patience and to not trouble
yourselves, my children.  Or something!