[wp-testers] Upload and use of Images

Andy Staines andy at yellowswordfish.com
Mon Dec 5 11:48:30 GMT 2005

On 11:03  AM |  Mon 5 Dec 05, at 11:03  AM |  5 Dec 05, David House
wrote:

> On 04/12/05, Andy Staines <andy at yellowswordfish.com> wrote:
>> So - OK - (1) leave the upload where it is. (2) Let ME THE USER
>> choose where I want my images to be stored. I don't want this imposed
>> on me and I don't want to change base code. (3) Give me the actual
>> code for the image. If not using the editor the drag and drop doesn't
>> work properly. Actually it's flaky anyway.  (4) And - so far ignored
>> - let ME THE USER CHOOSE if I want a thumbnail created. I don't want
>> my valuable space littered with junk I don't want.
>
> Right, let's get this sorted out.
>
> 1. Why? What do you mean by 'where it is'? On the Upload page? You
> really disagree that the inline uploading is worse than having to
> click through to a seperate page? Or are you talking about something
> else?

[ANDY] OK by 'where it is' I mean where it is now in 2. I have no
problem with the old workflow but I'll accept that many people do so
leave it where it is on the 'write' pages. No argument.
> 2. You have the option. As Matt mentioned, you can stick it in your
> wp-config.php and not worry about it ever again (I should have thought
> of that :)). The point is that most people won't care, so having an
> admin option is clutter. The alternative is to write a three-line
> plugin that would do this for you. If you really need it I could do
> that.

[ANDY] I can stick (define('CACHE_PATH', ABSPATH.'/wp-content/my-new-
cache-location');) in my wp-config? Is this right? 'CACHE_PATH'
defines where images are stored? Can you confirm that please? I can
cover this with a plug-in I guess. It's just that I suspected this
was more to do with the cache rather than images....?

So - if I define the location am I still going to get the folder
hierarchy or can I control that as well?

> 3. That's still a bug, and is still intending to be fixed. The way to
> fix this would be to file a bug on trac.

[ANDY] Tried it again - Confirm I can replicate.

> 4. Again, I guess if someone has selected 'Use Original', then we
> shouldn't create a thumbnail. File a second ticket.

[ANDY] When you click on the 'Upload' button, two files are created
so there is no choice on whether I want the thumbnail or not. Whether
this is a bug or by design I don't know.
I'll try and put these on Trac. Last time I tried filing a bug I
couldn't log into it but I'll have another try.