[wp-testers] Upload and use of Images

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 16:16:27 GMT 2005

On 04/12/05, Andy Staines <andy at yellowswordfish.com> wrote:
> It's a good point David but all I have to do is change the settings
> in the Upload options to get me a brand new empty folder and all the
> every XX or so images with no problems.

Chances are you wouldn't even notice it happening. Your site would
just get slower and slower with no indication that it was the
filesystem that was playing up. You'd need to do some zend-level
profiling to realise there even was a problem. You can't seriously
expect the average user to go through this.

> All I am saying is that I
> suspect there are a lot of users who will prefer the original method,
> especially after they have designed their working practice around it.
> And it has just completely disappeared. This is bad practice and bad
> user relations.

Fair point, but I'm not so convinced that anyone is bent around using
the old method. It was insane to expect people to click off the write
screen to upload an image to go with a post. Now, all they have to do
is click click drag. The old method really wasn't satisfactory.

> It's good to have new features and functionality but with most
> software this does not mean losing something completely that has
> worked well and replacing it with something that to get round I have
> to hack code for. So now I need to write a plugin AND hack the admin
> code to get this back and to ensure that ecto still puts things where
> I want them when I am on the road.

The ecto problems will have to be resolved, but we can't stick with a
flat folder structure for reasons I've already outlined. There's no
point having the inline upload and the standard upload, especially
when Andy finishes off the code to make it work for any mime type, not
just images. The old system was limited and had a bad work flow. The
new one will work better for nearly everyone.

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net