[wp-testers] Upload and use of Images

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 14:24:28 GMT 2005

On 03/12/05, Andy Staines <andy at yellowswordfish.com> wrote:
> (A) I don't want my folder structure imposed on me like this - I want
> choice

Most people won't be bothered about this, so the option has been moved
to the actual code rather than cluttering the admin interface, as
westi pointed out.

> (B) I want the choice as to whether I want thumbnails or not - and I
> don't

Yes, you do. Click on a photo and then 'Use Original'.

> (C) If I don't use rich text editing then dragging an image into the
> post area does not give me HTML tags

That's a bug then.

> (D) In Safari/Omniweb I can't change the options on the uploaded image

You couldn't do that before either. And it's not our fault.

> (E) If I CAN change the options I want to use a class from my CSS for
> formatting so still have to manually edit

...which you had to do before anyway...

> (F) If I accept the OTT folder structure then how are tools like Ecto
> going to work that currently look for a single image location?

Hmm... good question. I can't see any immediate solutions to this, but
what comes to mind:

* Have a flat folder structure. Disadvantage is that some filesystems
get really cranky when a lot of small files build up in one directory.
* Have some kind of symlink, 'wp-content/uploads/current' or
something, that links to the current month's folder. Windows
implementation would be tricky.
* Have a wp-content/uploads/current folder which is attached to the
current month. When the first upload is made in the next month, all
the current files in this folder are moved to the year/month folder
structure. Complex, unreliable and a permissions nightmare. Oh, and
it'd break permalinks.

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net