[wp-testers] WordPress cache, and IIS

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Thu Dec 1 20:04:41 GMT 2005

Nickolas Means wrote:
>> Also, of the Fortune 1000, 53% use IIS:
>> http://www.port80software.com/surveys/top1000webservers/
>
> True, but 70% of the Internet at large runs Apache, compared to 21%  on
> IIS.
> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/web_server_survey.html

If your resources are provided by a large organization - like the ones
indicated in the original message - you're more likely to find that you
are working with IIS.

And yet, 21% is more than 1 out of every 5 servers.

> Not trying to start an argument here, but I honestly didn't know that
> IIS was an officially supported platform - it's not stated anywhere  in
> any of the official documentation.  Also probably got a little  harsh to
> the user's "What can U do for me?" statement - the community  really
> owes him nothing and if he were a little less inflammatory in  his
> comments, I (and others, I'd imagine) might be more willing to help.

The requirements are succinct: PHP and MySQL.  Apache is simply recommended.

Now that this IIS support issue has been redressed, offering some useful
dialog on its accomodation seems more appropriate.

As I said before, I think that PATH_INFO and SCRIPT_NAME methods should
work for friendly permalinks in IIS.  Have you tried them with and
without using "index.php" as part of the permalink structure?  Using
your rewriter (you didn't mention which one - I've had a lot of luck
with ISAPIRewrite, though it's a commercial package) you might even be
able to get around including that in the structure.

As far as the cache directory is concerned, is the problem localized to
plugin activation, or do none of your options set properly?  Are you
sure you have the correct permissions set on the cache directory?  It
might be necessary to add some code to WordPress to unlink (delete)
cache files before they are written over.  For example, moving a file to
a location where a file of the same name already exists works on Linux,
but not on Windows, even when running Apache.  I don't think this is the
specific issue with the cache, since I'm running Apache on Windows here,
but it could be something similar.

More information might be helpful, such as what IIS/directory
permissions are set and what specific options don't appear updated.  Is
anyone else on the list testing on IIS?  Have this problem?

Owen