[wp-polyglots] Spelling

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri May 14 12:56:49 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 3:42 AM, Safirul Alredha <zeo at unic.net.my> wrote:

> There are couple of spelling conflicts in WordPress mainly because
> WordPress doesn't have any known standards or guidelines (AFAIK) in
> spelling or writing terms. For example: email vs. e-mail, website vs.
> web site, url vs. URL.

I believe our current preference is e-mail, though email is more progressive
and I imagine we'll gravitate to that soon. We actually have more instances
of "email" in core than "e-mail," but we use the latter more prominently --
see General Settings for example.

"website" and "URL" are also preferred. For spelling, we use American
English -- so behavior, not behaviour, and license not licence. It would be
good to create a small standard eventually.

We'd rather not change dozens of strings for minor spelling/style variations
so late in the development cycle -- this is something we'd do early on, say
in 3.1. Only actual spelling mistakes, I'd say.