[wp-polyglots] WordPress languages folder

John James Jacoby in at j-3.me
Wed Jun 30 20:02:49 UTC 2010

Hey everyone! First time using this list so be gentile. J

For BuddyPress, we have a large number of users in languages other than
English, and when BuddyPress gets updated their po/mo's are deleted, and
they are forced to redownload their translations.

I was wondering if there is any compelling reason for plugins to NOT put
their translation files into wp-content/languages/*plugin-folder-name* and
then write their own functions to load those files, and update those files
when needed.

Seems to me this would fix our problems, but I wanted to consult with you
all before giving it a go.

Thanks!

-John James Jacoby