[wp-polyglots] The tags at GlotPress

Nikolay Bachiyski nb at nikolay.bg
Thu Jun 24 16:19:52 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 01:11, Peter Holme <peter at holme.se> wrote:
> Hi!
> Just wondering what's going on with the 3.0.x tag at GlotPress? How is it
> supposed to be used?

When a new version of WordPress is released, the development branches
in two. For example after 3.0
was released we have two main branches: trunk -- the code there will
be the future 3.1, and 3.0 -- the code there will be the future
bug-fix 3.0.1, 3.0.2 and so on.

Translations follow WordPress development. The 3.0.x project is
derived from the 3.0 branch of WordPress and should be used

> I exported the strings from trunk and uploaded them to the 3.0.x set
> (nb_NO), since I thought maybe that the strings at 3.0.x would be "frozen",
> but I realize now that both trunk and 3.0.x can be edited by anyone... - so
> isn't this kind of confusing? (at least for all who aren't used to working
> with versions?) The point with GlotPress is that anyone can contribute, with
> minimal previous knowledge of po/mo/svn etc, right? but how do "the people"
> know where they are supposed to contribute?

I agree it is confusing right now. What I've seen in other places and
which works is setting active projects -- this way random users will
know to contribute there and the rest will be updated only if needed.

Here is the ticket in trac and I will work on this in the next days:
http://trac.glotpress.org/ticket/109

Happy translating,
Nikolay