[wp-polyglots] translate.wordpress.org

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Mon Feb 22 22:24:19 UTC 2010

Count me among those who will probably keep using poEdit or a text
editor in addition to using GlotPress. While this tool is a great idea
and we plan on installing on WPFR to handle to the translation of the
many WP Foundation projects, it still lacks a few must-haves, such as
search-and-replace. Having a web-based tool is great for
collaboration, but as a two-guys translation team here in FR-land, it
might be at times a hindrance rather than an help. It's great, though
to see suggestion from community members :)

So, basically, we'll certainly use to get community input, but will
most certainly heavily rely on export/import in order to make a few
check-ups ourselves.

-x.

On 18 February 2010 18:52, Stas Sușcov <stas at nerd.ro> wrote:
> Hi,
> nice work Nikolay, congrats.
>
> Don't get me wrong, but before getting our official local page on
> wordpress.org, we were using a tool like that (called narro, but nvm).
> The problem with web based tools is that they really give you space to
> get more contributions from users, but they still lack some under the
> hood control. After finishing the translations, we were still obliged to
> check the files manually (poedit) to be sure that .mo's were compiled
> correctly and the svn was the only real helpful backup tool (ability to
> get back to another revision and checkout cause of occured errors).
>
> Now it's cool to have it all centralised, but all the issues and
> questions in case of errors, will be addressed you guys (wp.org),
> wouldn't that give you headaches to respond to everyone and fix if
> something goes wrong?
>
> I would leave svn repo's as the final product location with manual
> commit by team drivers.
>
> Also I would like to hear other opinions on that count.
>
> --
> ()  Campania Panglicii în ASCII
> /\  http://stas.nerd.ro/ascii/

Xavier Borderie