[wp-polyglots] Plugins and themes localization

Amir Helzer amir.helzer at icanlocalize.com
Fri Nov 13 18:24:11 UTC 2009

Hi Cátia,

Actually, we're planning to build something like this:
http://wpml.org/2009/11/wpml-1-5-0-translation-hub-for-plugins-and-themes/

In case you don't know, WPML is a plugin for running WordPress
multilingual. Getting everything translated is very important to us and
our users.

WPML already includes facilities for translating themes and plugins:

* Scans the PHP and extract strings that need translation
* Includes a string translation interface that allows entering
translation for everything. It's organized by context and is made for
translators.
* Hooks to the gettext calls and injects the translation from its own
string translation interface.
* Imports and exports .po files.

What we're planning to do, in the very near future, is allow it to
synchronize translations with a central repository. This will allow
automatically downloading missing translations for everything that the
blog includes.

To upload translations, people will have to complete a short sign up
procedure. This will allow us to do some filtering and make sure that
contributors can write in the language they're contributing to.
Plugin/theme owners will have superuser privileges and will be able to
edit their translations.

Is this, more or less, what you're talking about?

Amir