[wp-polyglots] Continents and cities for translation

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Tue May 19 12:01:42 GMT 2009

Thank you very much Naoko for your report. I stumbled upon most of
them myself, and didn't take the time to write a mail about it. I'm
glad you did! :)

> 1. Duplicates:
> * Chongqing and Chungking --> Chongqing
> * Macao and Macau --> Macau
> * Ashkhabad and Ashgabat --> Ashgabat
> * Thimbu and Thimphu --> Thimphu
> * Ulaanbaatar and Ulan Bator --> Ulan Bator
> * Knox IN --> same as "Knox"?

Also:
 - Asmara and Asmera

Probably others too.

> 2. Typos:
> * DumontDUrville --> Dumont d'Urville
> * ComodRivadavia --> Comodoro Rivadavia

America --> Americas ?

It would also be nice to see the original accentuation taken into
account in the original strings.
For instance, "São Paulo" is listed as "Sao Paulo", "Asuncion" should
be "Asunción", etc.

> 3. Abbreviation that should be spelled out:
> LHI --> Lord Howe Island
> NSW --> New South Wales
> ACT --> Australian Capital Territory (ACT)

Seconded.

> 4. Names that have been changed:
> Should be displayed as "New Name (Old Name)" or new name only.
> * Ujung Pandang --> Kota Makassar
> * Rangoon --> Yangon
> * Godthab --> Nuuk
> * Ponape --> Pohnpei
> * Saigon --> Ho Chi Minh City (also a duplicate string "Ho Chi Minh" exists)
> * Dacca --> Dhaka (also a duplicate string "Dhaka" exists)

I used the "New Name (Old Name)" form myself.

Also (based on Wikipedia):
 - Kangiqtiniq (Rankin Inlet)
 - Ittoqqortoormiit (Scoresbysund)

There are certainly some more, but I'm not done yet with translating
this whole file.

> * UCT under "Etc" --> Is there such a time zone or abbreviation?

I translated this as the abbreviation "Etc."
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_cetera).

Also, I'd like to point out that I myself translated all GTM
references into UTC ones.
I'm also dubitative about having multiple meanings for UTC in there :
"UTC", "UCT" and "Universal" all obviously mean the same thing.

--
Xavier Borderie