[wp-polyglots] Unicode characters instead of entities in POT

Nikolay Bachiyski nb at nikolay.bg
Tue Apr 28 13:11:34 GMT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 16:05, Xavier Borderie <xavier at borderie.net> wrote:
> Just saw this ticket being closed by Nikolay:
> http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/7099
>
> Rather than open another ticket for my suggestion, I'd like to launch
> a discussion here first...
>
> Since the POT (and PO/MO) uses UTF-8, why can't we just use actual
> Unicode characters rather than their HTML entities equivalent?
> For instance, instead of "Chrunchung&hellip;", we'd have "Crunching…",
> "Send to editor &raquo;" would be "Send to editor »", etc.
> Is there something (non-supportive browser, maybe?) that would prevent
> this from working, and warrants entities?

There are many editors, which don't support either showing or entering
these characters. Browsers are a lot smarter. They revert to a basic
font if the current one can't show the character and don't rely only
on UTF-8 representation.

A translator needs a working knowledge of HTML anyway. Replacing or
adding verbose descriptions of entities isn't worth it.