[wp-polyglots] How about a post on the WordPress RSS?

Samuel Murray (Groenkloof) samuel at translate.org.za
Wed Sep 17 18:59:14 GMT 2008

Naoko McCracken wrote:

> Pretty simple idea, but how about just mentioning added languages once
> in a while?

> This will help the newly started localization project find
> contributors and users.

This is actually a good idea.  I didn't think much of it at first, but
if one could combine this with some interesting information about
localisation, it might prompt people into investigating it.

I suggest we think of a few ideas and see how much "news" we have, and
the determine how many posts we can make... one a month, two a month,
etc.  Even if we do one a month for the next 5 months, it may be worth a
shot.  Here's an idea about how the RSS posts might be structured:

1. Overview of how languages are progressing.  One post can mention all
langauges that are over 80% translated, the next post can mention
languages of between 60% and 80%, etc.

2. Is there a way to determine how many blogs on WordPress there are in
a certain language or on which a certain language is used?  If so, then
that information can be included for the languages mentioned in #1.

3. I think it is important to remind people of ways in which WP can be
translated.  But merely reminding is boring, so let's see if we can get
"tip of the day" or "did you know" kind of interesting pieces of
information about the various translation methods.  We can mention one
tip for each method in every post.  This will get people thinking about
aspects of localisation they haven't considered before.

4. It may be interesting to show how blogging jargon is translated into
various languages.  This should be fairly simple to gather... I'm sure
there are strings in WP that are 1 word long that concern blog-specific
terms.

I'm trying to think of content that would be easy to write but still
interesting.  Any other ideas?

Samuel

--
Samuel Murray
samuel at translate.org.za
Decathlon, for volunteer opensource translations
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/decathlon/