[wp-polyglots] Problem with plural form

Nikolay Bachiyski nb at nikolay.bg
Sun Sep 14 16:50:27 GMT 2008

On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 7:34 PM,  <avazbek at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting such error:
> Broken catalog file: singular form msgstr used together with msgid_plural
>
> The problem is that Uzbek language has a plural form (lar) but it's
> not used in such way as it is used in WordPress.
>
> Thus, both %s post and %s posts use singular form. If in english you
> say 1 post, 2 posts and etc. we say 1 post, 2 post and etc. That's why
> I didn't enter plural form for the WP project in poEdit, and when I
> translate such strings which have plural forms poEdit giving the error
> described above and I can't even reopen the saved file.
>
> Right now I'm leaving such strings and decided to translate them in a
> text editor one by one but I wonder if there's any better solution for
> this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

In order to be able to open the file with poEdit, open it with a
normal text editor and search for msgid_plural.
A sample entry should look like:

msgid "%s comment approved"
msgid_plural "%s comments approved"
msgstr[0] "singular translation"
msgstr[1] ""

If yours look like:

msgid "%s comment approved"
msgid_plural "%s comments approved"
msgstr "singular translation"

just repace this occurence of msgstr with msgstr[0].

After fixing the catalog, go to the catalog settings in poEdit and enter:

nplurals=1; plural=0;

in the Plural forms field.

After that poEdit will only ask you for one plural form and not for two.

If you have more problems, send us the PO file.