[wp-polyglots] Using WordPress translations in a new Pootle feature

Samuel Murray (Groenkloof) samuel at translate.org.za
Mon Sep 8 11:55:01 GMT 2008

G'day everyone

As some of you may know, I lead a project that encourage volunteers from
minority languages to help translate software into their languages.
Some of our translators are also taking part in the translation of
WordPress.  I'd like to tell you about a new feature in our web-based
translation system that we'd like to exploit, just in case you get
queries about it.

Previously, translators using Pootle had to translate from English, but
thanks to a new feature, they can now also translate from other major
languages, if those files are reasonably up to date.  For this reason
we'll be loading WordPress translations in some of those major languages
onto our Pootle server, in read-only mode, for use by other translators.

So if you're a translator here and you see your language suddenly appear
on our Pootle server, don't worry.  We're simply making existing
translations available to our other translators.  I may also contact
some translators here to offer assistance in getting their language
files up to date, if they prefer.

We're quite excited about the possibility of opening WordPress up to
more languages, but we want to make sure we don't step on anyone's toes
:-) or create the wrong impression.

Feel free to contact me for any information.

Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray samuel at translate.org.za
Decathlon, for volunteer opensource translations
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/decathlon/