[wp-polyglots] no-code-duplication i18n for WordPress

Nikolay Bachiyski nb at nikolay.bg
Wed Jun 4 11:36:10 GMT 2008

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 10:13 PM, Francesc Hervada-Sala
<francesc at hervada.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Am Dienstag, 4. März 2008 09:04:12 schrieb Lionel Elie Mamane:
>> I'm Lionel Elie Mamane, I recently got involved in the Debian
>> packaging of WordPress, and I'd like to propose you an enhancement in
>> your full-i18n procedures, so that all languages are guaranteed to
>> use the same code, only strings differ. I come bearing "proof of
>> concept" patches, available from
>> http://people.debian.org/~lmamane/wordpress/ .
>
> when we talked about this proposal we said we wanted to follow it after
> releasing 2.5. Is it perhaps now a good time to put it into practice? I think
> it is. This way 2.6 could have unique source files for all locales and the
> translation could be completely done just translating .po files.

I have the code for this, just haven't publicized it yet.

You can find it in the wordpress-i18n repo:

* http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/tools/trunk/not-gettexted.php

This script takes php files and either extracts all strings enclosed
by /* WP_I18n_xxx */ comments or replaces them with their
corresponding translations from a MO file.

* http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress-i18n/tools/trunk/t/test_not-gettexted.php

The patch, which marks the strings with the special comments is
attached to http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/6132

I will soon integrate this functionality with POT generation and the
build system for localized versions.

Happy hacking,