[wp-polyglots] Automatic update in 2.7 for local distributions

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Fri Aug 8 23:06:30 GMT 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 11:00 AM, Ran Yaniv Hartstein
<ran.hartstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> That sounds about right, but is there some kind of functional/technical spec
> or description of how the upgrade process will work? It's hard to figure out
> what adjustments might be needed for localized distributions without first
> knowing what we're actually dealing with.

We've got an initial implementation in trunk right now that is very
simple-minded.  It downloads the WP package and copies the new files
over the existing files and then runs upgrade.  It attempts to find a
locale specific WP package but reverts to the en_US package if it
can't find a localized package.  We'll put a notice in the upgrade
that asks if using the en_US package is okay when a localized package
is not available.

The current implementation requires a locale to have a
lc.wordpress.org site setup with a current package available for
download.  See here for some more info:

http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/5560#comment:47