[wp-polyglots] Automatic update in 2.7 for local distributions

Milan Dinić liste at srpski.biz
Thu Aug 7 20:12:50 GMT 2008

I didn't hear anything before about this topic so I'll pretend that: there
will be new function in 2.7 that will do automatic upgrading (like several
plugins that are doing this currently) and that in this thread we should
suggest things for locale versions and that Ryan will read it.
I hope I'm right. :)

Before this I already had an idea how could existing plugins for upgrade
work for locale versions and that should have use for other things. My idea
is to create list somewhere in wp code (i.e. in some xml file) where will be
listed informations about locales. There would be language code and domain
on wp.org for it.
Examples:
sr_RS - sr.wordpress.org
ja - ja.wordpress.org
pt_BR - pt-br.wordpress.org
Those existing plugins get zip file from wp.org and then unzip it and
replace files, so if they would get zip files from locale sites they should
know name's structure, which includes both language code and locale site.
This data shouldn't be only used for this purpose, but also for other
possible (future) services (about it at the end).

We don't have information how this tool will work: will it get new files
from locale sites or from SVN. I found one problem with SVN: from 2.6
version, non-gettexted strings are included in MO files but to replace them
in actual file we need to create release on locale site when strings will
automatically be replaced (there is that script that we can run ourselves,
but I doubt many translators use it). So this should be also considered if
there will be automatic upgrading from SVN.

Stefano talked about situation that there is new English version but not
locale one.
First of all, there must be better informing of translators about new
releases. We should have exact time when there will be new release and
enough time to update our translations, so that we don't have situation that
new versions are released suddenly.

But if for any reason there is no locale version, what should be done?
My suggestion is that we give message like this to users:
"There is new version of WordPress, but version for your language is not yet
updated. Would you like to upgrade anyway (note that there will be missing
translation for new strings, but as soon as your language translation is
upgraded there could be done full upgrade) or to wait for completed new
version for your language?"
In the background for first option, script should replace old with new files
but shouldn't touch wp-content/languages directory. When locale version is
released, wp should either offer this new releas, or upgrade language files
in background.
Here we also must care for those non-gettexted strings, but this depends on
that from where we will get new files.

This is what I remembered now, later I'll maybe add more on this.

I already said that this file with data about locales should also have other
use, and I also have other suggestion for i18n in 2.7, so I'm asking Ryan
and Nikolay should I open new thread for that (I think thats better) or to
send that here also?