[wp-polyglots] Hindi Localization

Jai Pandya jaipandya at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 02:23:37 GMT 2008

Hello Samuel,

Thank you really very much for the mighty information given.

> I've read your mail and the subsequent thread, and here's my comment.  I
> think that if you want to translate WordPress into Hindi, you need to find
> (a) other possibly willing translators and (b) existing Hindi translations
> of similar systems.

Both of them are good suggestions.

(a) For the first one, initially even I thought about it ( if fact, I had
the illusion that some team would be working for hindi Localization of
WordPress ). As this page lists a person working on WordPress translation.
Finally when I found that there was no active translation for WordPress
available, I decided to start it on my local machine and contacted the
mailing-list. I thought, if it would be more sensible if I ask for
contribution after myself doing some potential work before.

(b)I have been consulting other translation efforts in hindi( though, they
were not similar systems, still 70% of the times I got what did I need with
similar context). GNOME, KDE, Firefox hindi are amongst the most active open
source Hindi Localization Efforts. Traditionally hindi has a problem of
standardization. Because of the same problem, we get many localized terms
for the same  term in english.

Existing translations can sometimes be used to help pre-translate your PO
> file, but in other cases they can also be helpful to figure out how other
> translators translated a certain term.

How is that pre-translation done? Is that a kind of automatic process?

I had an hour or two to spare, and here's what I could come up with:

> Sahil Chandra seemed interested in localising Apache Lenya:
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cms.lenya.user/6387
> He also has a Gmail address (google for it).
>
> A number of people at DNN seemed interested in starting a Hindi l10n for
> it:
> http://www.dotnetnuke.com/Community/Forums/tabid/795/Default.aspx
> Search for "Hindi".
>
> Drupal has seen some Hindi movement:
> http://drupal.org/project/hi
> http://drupal.org/node/30465
> ... but there's no official Hindi l10n team of it yet.
>
> EZ Publish has a Hindi language pack:
> http://ez.no/download/translations/ez_publish_3_6
> Wow, this is a Jackpot!  Their language packs use an older version of TS,
> which the Translate Toolkit's ts2po tool can handle.  The pocount count of
> EZ Publish's Hindi translation says it's 99% translate, with 25000 words
> translated.  Only about 200 strings from it are also in WordPress, but hey,
> I'm sure it can be useful for seeing how certain things were translated.  I
> can't figure out what it's licence is, though.  Let me know if you need help
> with what I had just said.
>
> Debashish Chakrabarty seems to be a potentially useful contact:
> http://nullpointer.debashish.com/move-over-wordpress-here-comes-habari
>
> There is a large number of strings already in Hindi in Fedora:
> http://translate.fedoraproject.org/languages/hi/fedora-8
>
> Joomla has a Hindi language pack:
> http://joomlaindia.org/prod/
> The language pack is in UTF8 although two of my usually sufficient Unicode
> text editors on Windows thought that the file was Latin-1, so remember to
> tell the text editor "it is UTF8" when you open the file. Unfortunately
> there are no English strings.  The file is about 500 lines long.
>
> There is a Mambo guy wanting to do Hindi:
> http://forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?t=46674
>
> Rakesh Ambati once wanted to do Hindi on MediaWiki:
>
> http://playingwithsid.blogspot.com/2008/03/mediawiki-translation-project.html
>
> Sections of MoinMoin has been translated, also by Rakesh:
> http://master.moinmo.in/MoinI18n/hi
>
> Vidur Kanodia was doing the Hindi translation of openACS:
> http://openacs.org/shared/community-member?user%5fid=209055
>
> And finally, Pankaj Narula did a WordPress Hindi translation:
> http://web.archive.org/web/20040722170614/www.pnarula.com/wpd/

There was an effort called
FUEL<https://fedorahosted.org/fuel/wiki/fuel-hindi>last month to solve
this problem of standardization. This standard glossary
for hindi words is made by the active contributors for different open source
projects and hindi language experts.(that includes some of the people you
listed ) It is proving to be very resourceful for me. I have been consulting
the terms given there for this Localization effort for WordPress.

Still, you have provided me a wealth of information. I'll be looking at each
one of them. I'm grateful to you that you spent so much of your time for me.

One more thing, I am using poEdit for my work, but sometimes when
translating plural terms, it shows some kind of error. Also, It has crashed
many times. (though I have a habit of saving my work every 5 minutes, but
unfortunately last time when I had completed 20% of strings, it just crashed
over my head and I had to repeat my work from 15% again). Do you suggest
anything else would be better, or should I continue with the same software?

Rgards,

Jai Pandya