[wp-polyglots] i18n-ed theme and the repository

Nikolay Bachiyski nbachiyski at developer.bg
Tue Oct 9 10:11:52 GMT 2007

2007/10/3, Pandem <pandemtandem at gmail.com>:
> Nikolay Bachiyski escribió:
> > 2007/10/3, Mohd Tarmizi <tarmiziaffandi at yahoo.com>:
> >
> >> ...and where should I put the translation files? "theme/default", I persume?
> >>

> > No, in your repository:
> >
> > wordpress-i18n/<your-locale>/<branch>/messages/kubrick/<your-locale>.po
> >
> > The Codex page on the repository structure is also updated:
> >
> > http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress#Repository_File_Structure
> >
> > Nikolay.
> >

> Some thoughts about directory structure:
>
> - As per Ryan Boren's guidelines on theme localization, "Theme catalogs
> are loaded with load_theme_textdomain(). load_theme_textdomain() looks
> in the active theme directory for a file called $locale.mo. Strings are
> marked in the same way that plugin strings are marked."[1] Thus,
> shouldn't we place kubrick's $locale.po and $locale.mo within the theme
> directory?

It is just their place in the repository, it doesn't reflect their
place in the installation. Keeping them in the theme folder is bad
because:
* the theme dir will be cluttered with extraneous files -- lots of pos and mos
* every translator will need commit access to the theme folder
* not all translations of a language will be kept in their own folder

> - WordPress falls back on default theme in case something goes wrong
> with the chosen template. To do this, it relies on having default theme
> folder being named as 'default'. If we replace the contents of this
> folder with our internationalized kubrick, and at some stage the
> internationalization/localization process goes wrong, there'll be no
> fallback. Same if we rename 'default' as 'default-en'. Couldn't we keep
> the default theme in English, add the 'kubrick' folder to /theme and
> change the header in style.css to something like
>
> Theme Name: WordPress Default International
> Theme URI: http://wordpress.org/
> href="http://binarybonsai.com/kubrick/">Kubrick</a> and
> internationalized by WordPress Polyglots.
>
> of course, translated to the target language?

Our main goal is to have the *default* theme, not escpecially kubriuck
i18n-ed, because many themes fallback to the default templates and we
want them to be translatable by default.