[wp-polyglots] Create a wordpress-i18n release?

Abel Cheung abelcheung at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 23:18:39 GMT 2007

Hi,

As title, should people gather up their po files, and release a tarball
or zip file containing upcoming release of translation?
I'm not sure if this idea has been discussed before, didn't manage
to find it on archive yet.

I'm asking this because under current management, to put it
very impolitely (at least to wordpress people who worked hard to
set up and maintain wordpress-i18n svn repo), current svn repo
is no more than yet another file storage service. It almost depends
on translators' own effort to advertise their own work; translators
can just upload their work to any other free file storage server,
then broadcast to local audience about existance of their translation.
Makes no difference at all whether the file is in wordpress-i18n or not.

Yes, there are one or 2 links pointing to codex; but this has not much
apparent effect. In fact I've seen some translations in svn becoming
unofficial one while other circulated on internet becoming official one.

So I'm making this proposal, not because this release will provide
ground-breaking convenience -- people may not need all of the
translations -- but acting as a status boost for translators who have
done their hard work in svn.

It's just like saying: 'Hey, if you want to have your wordpress localized
but didn't manage to find any other resource yet, you're welcome to
take a look at the translations we released, and give it a try!'

Abel
--
Abel Cheung   (GPG Key: 0xC67186FF)
Key fingerprint: 671C C7AE EFB5 110C D6D1  41EE 4152 E1F1 C671 86FF