[wp-polyglots] Changing charset in UTF-8 .po file

Kimmo Suominen kimmo+key+wordpress.c4f53f at suominen.com
Wed Mar 15 07:36:57 GMT 2006

I wrote a plugin to handle that, so that there would not be a need for
separate translations for different character sets.

    http://kimmo.suominen.com/sw/charsets/

Just activate the plugin and change the charset in options | reading.

WordPress 2.0.1 or later doesn't even require any patching anymore.

However, if you really do want a separate po file, you can use the iconv
command combined with some hand editing:

    iconv -f utf-8 -t iso-8859-1 < original.po > new.po

Then edit the headers at the beginning of new.po reflect the new
character set (basically just replace all instances of UTF-8).

Best regards,
+ Kimmo
--
<A HREF="http://kimmo.suominen.com/">Kimmo Suominen</A>