[wp-polyglots] Trying to translate a plugin

Stefano steagl at people.it
Tue Feb 28 15:10:41 GMT 2006

Il Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:43:31 +0100, Pandem <pandemtandem at gmail.com>
scrive:

>You can have the plugin files in a subdirectory and the mo file under
>the main plugins directory: the pugin will get translated without having
>to add that second parameter to load_plugin_textdomain. As Karl said, it
>is sometimes the best way, because you don't have to hack the plugin
>files. The codex is very confusing on this respect, I had to learn this
>by trial and error. I found it very strange that you had to hack every
>plugin file in order to make load_plugin_textdomain point to the proper
>folder, as some of them consists of a single php file that you place
>under the main directory while some others need they own folder.

You don't have to hack anything if the plugin is correctly
internationalized, the problem is to have developers doing this
properly, tons of plugin still have gettext function and don't have
the load_plugin_textdoamin function, the same for themes.

If a plugin is distrbuted to be in a propertary subdir alla the files
related to this plugin MUST be there.

>As i18n of plugins and themes is becoming quite common, it would
>probably be a good idea to have a /languages subfolder and make this
>function point to that by default. It would help both plugin developers
>and users.

In other mailing list this it has been alredy discussed, having a
centralized languages directory won't help, themes lolcales files
actually doens't have a special name cause they have theyr own
directory, plugins have it cause they can share the same dir.

I repeta, the problem is to "force" theme and plugin developers to cre
more about intenationalization, I'd proposed to have a "WP quality
ribbon" for theme and plugins that comply to a series of quality check
and one is correct internationalization, some people agree to this,
actually the problem we are taliking on other ML is how to better
manage plugin version and update, using a repository, etc etc but this
is something we still have in the agenda.

Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it