[wp-polyglots] New default theme missing strings

K Suominen ksuominen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 00:08:49 GMT 2005

I'd like to cast my vote for a gettext-enabled default theme as well.

I'm not thrilled about the same phrase repeating in multiple files in
the default template, and having to translate it each time.  With
gettext, at least for Finnish, I could just translate it once (like
"Not Found").

How about creating it as gettext-enabled, and then leaving it up to
the translators to use or not use gettext?  If we allow removing
gettext during translation, that should alleviate most problems, no?

We could also provide an English "translation" that strips out the
gettext stuff.

Even with gettext, I think I'll still end up having to do more than
just translate the strings.  For example, I had issues with
capitalization: sometimes January needs to be capitalized, e.g. in the
sidebar menu, but in the date strings it needs to be lowercase.  I've
replaced calls to the_date() with things like this:

echo strtolower(get_the_time('l\n\a j\. F\t\a Y'));
echo ucfirst(strtolower(get_the_time('l j\. F\t\a Y')));

Also, I'd like to agree that the default theme should respect the date
and time formats set in the admin interface, but on the other hand, a
single format would never work correctly for Finnish (unless you use
only numbers).  A possible approach to this could be having a
"default" setting in the admin interface that would allow using
whatever the template likes in each spot.  To override, set a specific
format in the admin interface.  Dunno, sounds kludgey...

Regards,
+ Kim