[wp-polyglots] themes and localization

Stefano steagl at people.it
Mon Dec 19 13:47:43 GMT 2005

Il Mon, 19 Dec 2005 11:53:10 +0200, Kimmo Suominen
<kimmo+key+wordpress.c4f53f at suominen.com> scrive:

>On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 05:48:13AM +0100, Fairweb fr wrote:
>> We (the French translation team) wonder which theme we could use to test
>> our "theme.mo". Which theme has been used to produce the .pot file ?
>>
>> Also, why is the default theme not localized ?
>
>This was already discussed in February when 1.5 was translated:
>
>http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-polyglots/2005-February/000019.html

Now after few months i think that choise was wrong, the theme should
have been distibuter fully internationalized, with it's
load_theme_textdomain() and the .mo files for the varioul loale
versions.

If we did this now mostly of the ne them would have been
internationalized too and theme developpers would have been get used
to this stuff. Having the theme wth strings hard coded didn't give any
really advantage in supporting people in theyr theme chamges, cause
people that like to manipoulate his theme usually use other themes and
not the Default one.

Maybe with this distributions we can think to revert back to a
localized theme with it's own pot, and with the load
load_theme_textdomain() directive inside.

Email: steve at 40annibuttati.it steagl at people.it
Sites: http://www.40annibuttati.it
       http://www.wordpress-it.it