[wp-hackers] Thoughts for handy features

John Elliot V jj5 at jj5.net
Tue Aug 29 13:36:24 UTC 2017

Hey there.

I love MediaWiki and have been using it everywhere for years. Recently
I've been doing some rather major documentation and I realised there
were two features which would be really handy for me (if these or
similar already exist I would love to know!):

1. For links to articles in sections on the same page it would be really
handy if we had syntax like: [[#unity|]] which would auto-complete to
[[#unity|unity]] for you.

2. For duplicated content it would be handy if you could define a bunch
of "variables" down the bottom of a page and then reference them from
elsewhere. I am aware of templates, but those are overkill and difficult
to maintain per my use case (my use case is documenting the "purpose" of
a computer, I duplicate this in various places, but don't want to
maintain templates for that).

Since I'm here, quick thanks to the MediaWiki community for creating
such wonderful wiki software!

Regards,
John Elliot V
E: jj5 at jj5.net