[wp-hackers] identifying if a transient exists without the WordPress APIs

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 16:36:24 UTC 2015

Hi guys,

I know this would have been an easy one using the WordPress API's - as the
answer to my question would be -> just use get_transient dude!

But I want to figure this out with straight mysql - as I need this
information at the mother of all pages, the index.php at the site root -
before it has loaded the blog-header.

If the name of the transient I'm after is 'my_transient', what mysql
statement would reliably get me its contents - if 'my_transient' has not
expired and still available?

Needless to say, that SQL statement cannot tap into the wpdb APIs for the
same very reason; WordPress has not loaded yet. So this has to be straight
mysql solution.

I know that the transients may not always be stored in the options table (
 it could be memory based ) but here we will assume that we use options
table for that.