[wp-hackers] Viruses that look for open WordPress tabs in your browser?

Mark Slade markandrewslade at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 14:15:11 UTC 2015

I am aware of a few ways this could have gone:

   - Compromised browser -- the victim's browser was compromised and
   malicious code is driving their browser to perform the attacks.  The
   browser automatically includes auth cookies and the attack succeeds.
   - Compromised OS -- the victim's device was compromised through the OS
   or some shady software they installed.  At this point the virus doesn't
   need to peek into the browser's memory space, it just needs drive the
   browser the way a regular user would -- simulating mouse clicks, etc.  WP
   trusts the browser so anything done by the browser will be trusted as
   well.  I'm not too familiar with this kind of attack so I'm not sure what
   OSes have what protections against this kind of thing, but I wouldn't rule
   it out.
   - Compromised network -- the victim's auth cookie was intercepted and
   the attacker just used that cookie from their own device to hijack the auth
   session.  For this to be the case, the attacker would've also needed to
   spoof the victim's IP since that's what was in the logs.  This is usually
   harder to pull off, but if the attacker is on the same LAN as the victim
   then it becomes a lot easier.  If the victim connects to WordPress over
   plaintext HTTP then this attack would be extremely easy to execute and it
   could appear to come from the same IP as the victim.

Mark