[wp-hackers] single quote in content ends up as Unicode Character 'RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK'

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Tue May 27 10:55:38 UTC 2014

Otto,

The wp_texturize has a great functionality; If you use the HTML tag <code>
& </code> in your shortcode content area, it leaves that section untouched.
This way you can create sections within your shortcode as to which area
wp_texturize to operate on or off.

So for all the special symbols used within the <code> & </code> block,
(such as the single quote <code>'</code>), I get them as is. For example,
for the ', I get it as '. I do not get the ’ anymore. The <code>
feature simply takes care of the problem - in a brilliant way.

But...

If when you switch the post editor's Tiny MCI's visual tab, that simple &
innocent action ( which is irreversible ) removes the <code> and </code>
tags permanently and replaces them with  ! Then all bets are off.

Is it possible to prevent that from happening so that the structured data
area that I'm trying to protect thru the <code></code> in my shortcode is
immune to those innocent and accidental switches that may happen anytime on
the user's end?

I thought of tapping into the no_texturize_shortcodes filter - as expained
here (
http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Filter_Reference/no_texturize_shortcodes),
as a different way to tackle the whole thing...

But I sense that that would assume the entire content area of the to be
avoided by the wp_texturize.

My shortcode has two sections... the regular content area section... and
the code section that has the code instructions ..  I'd like to be able to
separate these  two sections ( code and content ) from one another.

In other words, I'd like wp_texturize to do what's designed for on the
"content-content" area in my shortcode but leave the "content-code" section
alone..

If the <code></code> were to be preserved upon the visual-tab switch, I
would be done with this issue and programming the parser now. But I cannot
move on at this moment before I nail this issue in a future proof way.

What do you think can be done to pull this wish off?