[wp-hackers] GSOC 2014 idea: Media categories in Core

Adam Czyszczoń adam.czyszczon at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 13:02:44 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm new to the Wordpress Community but I've already worked with Wordpress
for some time. I would like to contribute to the community and take part in
GSOC 2014.

My idea is to add categorization to the Media Library. This means that when
you add files, you can select category for them. The category can be
selected from predefined categories list, just like it is currently done
when you add posts. Moreover, if you checked "Organize my uploads into
category folders" your media files will be stored in category folders,
which is great. Finally, when you add media files to your post or page you
can browse media by categories so you don't have to browse through
thousands of not related images to find a particular one.

Now you would probably say that there are plugins which can do that. This
is true but those plugins, despite the fact that they look ugly, they
always miss something. For example, even if you find a plugin that allows
you to categorize media properly, still you won't be able to browse with
categories when adding media files to posts/pages or to browse with
categories when making a gallery. Moreover, you will have to move you media
files to created category folders manually. In other words -- media
categorization must be in the core :)

I would like to ask for your opinion concerning this idea. Do you think it
qualifies for GSOC 2014?

Best regards,
Adam