[wp-hackers] Disabing a paid extension of our plugin if the licence is not renewed, is doing this too agressive?

Dino Termini dino at duechiacchiere.it
Tue Mar 4 01:46:10 UTC 2014

I think you guys misinterpreted what he was saying. He's talking about
add-ons that extend the main plugin's functionality. The one available
on the repository would be free and fully functioning, while add-ons
would be available for a fee. He's asking if it would be okay to disable
the add-on if no license is entered.

We had explored this option with WP SlimStat (
http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-slimstat/ ) , but we ended up using the
license key mainly to make sure that those who purchased the add-on get
notified when an update is available (pretty much what Envato does).
Again, our main plugin is available for free and it's fully functioning.
No features are disable, ever. Those who need more, purchase our premium
add-ons, which are fully functional even without a license fee (after
all, how hard would it be to tweak the code to circumvent such a silly
limitation in an open source software?).

Best,
Dino.