[wp-hackers] by passing the entire template hierarchy

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 15:08:54 UTC 2014

Thank you guys for your input.. I appreciate it.

John, I've built a new infustructure where things work differently and in
this infrustructure, the whole theme is done by a single index.php. And
that's always the case - which nullifies the need for the concept known as
template-hiearachy.

So there will never-ever be a need to say category.php.
I do not wish to get into the details here as to why I]ve built a framework
as such , and why I should or should not have done so etc.

Please note that this is not about overwriting the template hierarchy.

It's about totally by passing it
- which I have a feeling is not possible.

In the case of hooking into the "template_include" (or "template_redirect"
for that matter), it's an overwrite.

As you know, those hooks are run after wordpress core deployed the
template-hierarchy and in some cases 7 or 8 files have already been probed
for their existence. - which is exactly the process I'm trying to prevent
from taking place.

and as to the get_header option, Mikael, it's the same situation. By the
time, get_header hook sees the world, all the file_exists operations have
already been performed.

Let me put it this way, we all know index.php is the last resort in the
template-hierarchy.

Is there a hook that I can turn index.php being the first-resort?