[wp-hackers] [GSoC] Inline editing idea

Nikola Nikolov nikolov.tmw at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 19:26:12 UTC 2014

@Stefan - I took a quick look at your editor and I have to admit that it
does look pretty awesome!

Here are *my* thoughts on why it could be difficult/impossible to implement
your editor in WordPress:

Unfortunately since TinyMCE is the built-in editor for WordPress, you can't
just toss it out the window(I realize that this is not what you are
suggesting, but having different editors would bring inconsistencies
between the front/back-editing of content).
There are lots of plugins and themes out there that add basic or advanced
functionality to the TinyMCE editor - either enabling built-in(but disabled
by default) functionality, or adding something completely new.

That means that you should somehow offer support for that extra
functionality - or at the very least you should avoid JS errors. In order
to add that support to your editor, I assume that it would loose some of
it's advantages(like being lightweight for instance). The very minimum of
what you would need to add support for is all of the built-in WordPress
extensions to TinyMCE(read gallery shortcodes, custom link button, etc.)

Then there is the issue of the different approaches UI-wise - TinyMCE has
it's toolbar visible all of the time at the top of the content - you show
styling buttons upon selecting some text(which is kind of cool). This would
create two different experiences for the users(one when editing in the
back-end and one when editing in the front-end), which can be confusing to
some users(sadly for me not everyone is tech-savvy or sometimes not even
close to being tech-savvy).

Honestly I would be happy to see a nice editor(although I don't have a lot
of complaints with TinyMCE at the moment) make it's way into WordPress, but
it's definitely something that would either not happen, or would take a
long time.